[pianotech] Aural tuning question

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun Mar 8 07:56:27 PDT 2009

Duaine,

There's a thread on aural pitch-raising in the archives from January 2006:
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech_ptg.org/2006-January/thread.html
which might be helpful. There are other threads from other eras, as well...
I just searched <aural pitch raise> and the above thread was on the first
page of the hitlist.

Personally, I'm still (unfortunately) tied to my ETD, and will probably
remain so for pitch corrections for some time to come. But if I were to PR a
piano that's a full semitone flat, I'd start by (with ETD) a pass tuning to
A440, without overpull, then a second pass to overpull for the smaller
amount it's now flat. I reckon that if I dropped my ETD or if the battery
died (but it's a SAT3) I'd attempt the same procedure aurally.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN