[pianotech] What will I find?

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Sun Mar 8 10:27:05 PDT 2009

HA! Ron N made me laugh out loud on this one; an air strike, the visual was
just too much for me. <G>

Ron is correct here: "Be willing to be pleasantly surprised, but don't
remotely expect it."

Did the customer have any complaints about father-in-law's work? You might
want to call back and ask as this may give you the answer you are looking
for. I am especially frightened by the FIL's work on the "dampeners". Should
the call back not unearth anything useful, or the customer suggests that
everything is working just fine, at least you know you are not walking into
a mine field.

The chances that FIL did anything useful is highly suspect, but be sure to
wear your most attractive diplomatic hat as you don't want to demean FIL
directly or subtly in the eyes of those who are presumably quite fond of him
and his skills. This could get very tricky, however, if you find you are
compelled to undo some of FIL's work.

Diplomacy, with FIL looking over your shoulder: "Yes, Mr. Tinker, you were
absolutely on the right track when you bent this damper wire to 90 degrees,
but since you lacked the exact tools as I have you overshot the mark a bit."

Mr. Tinker: "By how much?

You: "By 89 degrees."

***************************

Non-Diplomacy: "Mr. Tinker, you really screwed this up. Whatever esteem that
your kids ascribe to you I wouldn't let you tighten a rusty screw on my old
screen door."

Mr. Tinker: "What should we do?"

You: "I'm calling in an air strike."

Regards,