[pianotech] What will I find

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Mar 8 13:02:30 PDT 2009

I really do like the idea of the air strike, Ron.

I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised. But what, I wonder, might a tinkerer have done with hammers? Would he even KNOW about re-facing? Maybe the odd classic execrable repair - hammer moved from high treble to tenor to replace missing one. Or perhaps a reasonably well-glued hammer shank repair. We shall see.

I once had a customer who'd bought a crummy old birdcage from someone "who does up pianos". The "doing up" seemed to have consisted of nothing more than taking out all the keys and putting them back in all the wrong places, which he had gotten away with because as a very basic straight-strung, the keysticks were straight. It looked like a mouthful of crooked teeth.

Funny, after a long period when I'd not come across any piano I refused to work on, I've had two quite recently.  After having established cordial and sympathetic relations with the owner of one, I told them I wouldn't insult my Fujan carbon fibre lever by trying to tune their piano with it!

I'm at all times diplomatic, however!

Best,

David.