[pianotech] Excerpts from Gary Shulze mail on P-12ths

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 8 13:25:09 PDT 2009

For your edification:

.... "Influences of Inharmonicity on Aural Tests in Equal Temperament".
It's nice to see that it holds up after all these years. A friend and
former colleague called me and told me about the on-going discussion.
This article was reprinted, with a minor correction, in "The PTG Exams:
A Source Book"in 1993. I am somewhat embarrassed by the pomposity of the
title - I later retitled it as "Perfecting the Fifth" for the Twin
Cities PTG chapter newsletter.

My entire intent of the article was to propose "...incorporating a
different, although still compatible, system of temperament: the equally
tempered P19." And to echo Dr. Sanderson's thinking that Inharmonicity
isn't a disease, but a blessing. The piano, because of it's
inharmonicity, satisfies both melodically and harmonically. For a "fixed
pitch" instrument, this is astounding.

I've always been an aural tuner, and (I was under the influence of Owen
Jorgensen at the time as his teaching assistant) set about to propose
aural tests for proving P12s & p19s. I threw in the comma footnote just
for the hell of it. I always suspected that I was the first to propose
this in writing - but I had already heard and deduced through
discussions with other tuners that P12s may be the way things actually
worked.

I even did up a program in Fortran (I think it was), doing "paper
tunings",  using and comparing P12 and P19 temperaments, incorporating
inharmonicity equations, and comparing the results to a S&S "D' tuning
measured with an Accu-tuner. This, back in '81 was tedious. I had reams
of graph paper all over the place. That's when I knew I was on to
something. But the focus was meant to be always "aural". I've always
believed (call me a Luddite) that aural tuning is more accurate and
faster. But I admit prejudice. I do think its more fun. I once wrote
elsewhere that tuning was a "complex puzzle with no real solution. The
pieces aren't made to fit. We can only produce the illusion of a
solution: we are forced to cheat".

Gary Shulze

I ran across a companion paper I did for an independent study in
acoustics at Michigan State, dated June 8, 1981.

My goodness was it ever ponderous, with an equation taking up half a
page that I used to compare various tuning ratios under the influence of
inharmonicity with the readings from actual tuning.

One quote from the abstract, which echoes somewhat the PTG article, and
expands a little also:

"...assuming that the best tuning achieves the most nearly coincident
partials while exhibiting a smooth rate of deviation, it is shown that,
of any one ratio, a 6:1 tuning comes closest to 'ideal'... This theory
is also shown to comply well with standard tuning practice, and allows
for an extra degree of control over  accumulated errors."

Anyhow, the gist & thrust of all this was to champion the use of P19 &
P12, and also, concurrent with using the "equal beating" aural tests
presented in the article, draw attention to the importance of the minor
3rd. i.e. striving for a consistent relationship between major & minor
thirds.

Gary Shulze