[pianotech] Tunic Onlypure Tuner

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 8 15:02:54 PDT 2009

Hi again John

I just found the following post looking up in the archives about things
that have been said before on this whole greater P-12ths issue.  It is a
set of aural instructions given by Bernhard for how he executes his
tuning aurally.

http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech_ptg.org/2004-January/148153.html

Cant say I see any real difference between what I've been saying all
along and whats written here aside from just how he goes about his
temperament area. Tho my round gets essentially to the same place. We
even seem to use the same region... D3 to A4.  Tho he relies on thirds
and sixths sequences with fourths and fifths checks and I do the
opposite.  We both establish D3, A4 and A3 at the get go.  I add D4 as a
primary to my routine.

He must have changed things since 2004 as here he states outright he
tunes the whole piano to pure 12ths... with that concept being defined
in step 5 as a "pure 3/1 12th" and stated even more specifically in step
3 as "This will result in the 3. harmonic of this D30 to the same pitch
as A49 440 Hz, the 12th is now set". Then again down in paragraph nine
he says a bit more open to interpretation " As I said... i tune the
whole piano straight with pure 12ths.... "   And in his closing
statement he again gets specific with the "...3rd harmonic og D30 to the
same pitch as A49."

Since he now states he's doing something different he must have changed
his priorities somewhat. Thats understandable. I found early on myself
that straight 3:1 P12ths in the bass didnt really work well. I look at
6:3 octave types and compare them with 6:2 12th types for the time
being.  But I also find checking 6:1's handy. Easy to do very accurately
with Tunelab.

In anycase... hope you can make use of his aural instructions from just
4 and a half years ago.
Cheers
RicB