[pianotech] Tunic Onlypure Tuner

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:22:45 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Bernhard Stopper <b98tu at t-online.de> wrote:

> A 3/1 duodecime i mention the 3rd partial of one note with the fundamental
> of the 12th above.
> This includes inharmonicity between those two partials but does not mean
> that that duodecime is aurally pure, as the same is true for a 2/1 octave
> mentions the second partial of one note to fundamental of the octave above
> includes inharmonicity between that partials, but that octave is also not an
> aural pure octave, because of the higher partials.
> The duodecime used in my tunings is aurally pure (that means slightly
> expanded beyound the 3/1 definition), as aural tuners who do not distinct
> between octave types describe purity with a "sweet spot" octave.
>
> Bernhard Stopper

Having just re-read Kent Swafford's review in the March PTJ, it seems that
the "pure" in the  "OnlyPure" system is the illusion (beat canceling)
created by various intervals sounding together that normally might produce
beats in other tuning systems.  Is that what is meant?

It did seem in past discussions that the "pure" referred to a pure 3:1 P12,
but perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.  Now it has been defined (possibly
redefined) as "aurally pure."  And I can certainly relate to the "sweet
spot."  And I can go along with a blend of partials creating a pure sound --
I hear the same thing in my octave tuning.  I'm looking forward to your
aural instructions, Bernhard.

Kent wrote in the review: "Exposed intervals (those played by themselves not
in combination with other intervals) may pop out at times, suddenly exposing
their beat rates that are normally masked by the synchronous effect of this
tuning."

Kent, can you possibly record some of that on that tuning you have coming up
soon?

Bernhard, I am not currently tempted to purchase the program. This is due to
its cost, and the fact that I tune aurally.  (And also, I would want in any
ETD I might buy some features that can be used to score CTE tests, because I
plan to pursue being a CTE. At this time, I really can't justify
buying twodifferent ETDs when I really don't want to use even
one of them <G>.)  However, if indeed you are making a program for the
iPhone, please do a demo program for the iPhone.  Make it work for a 30-day
period so we can try it out to our satisfaction. Then, skeptics like me
might be tempted into a purchase. :-)

--
JF