[pianotech] String Leveling question

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sun Mar 8 16:39:02 PDT 2009

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943
Author of:
The Business of Piano Tuning
available from Potter Press
www.pianotuning.com

-----Original Message-----
From: David Skolnik <davidskolnik at optonline.net>
To: Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 12:51 pm
Subject: [pianotech] String Leveling question

Dear Listees,?
A few questions have been prompted by my very recent acquisition of a tool many of you have probably owned for some time: Joe Goss's brass String Level. I'm quite enamored of it and it will, at some point, probably get me into as much trouble as did Tom Lowell's gauge. I apologize if I'm overlooking anything obvious, or if there was a recent discussion of this that I'm unaware of.?
?
- What, ideally, should bi- and tri-cord level be parallel to? keybed? stretcher? plate? top of agraffe, (if not rounded, a la Bechstein)??

I check the plate and the stretcher. But that is not as important as having the three strings in line with each other. Yes, you want them to be as close to dead on level as possible, but they can?cant slightly to the left or right, as long as none of the?strings?ring with the gauge on top of the strings, and as long as?the bubble doesn't?go past the lines on the gauge.

- How often do you come across ideal??

You can get all three strings of every note to?be perfectly level if you're willing to spend the time. It has been my experience that 90 - 95%% of the notes will the perfectly level, and the rest leaning to one side or the other.

- How many times (at which points) do strings get leveled after stringing??

After the piano has been chipped and tuned three or four times, lift up each string with a string hook, and then go through the leveling process.?Once?you've done that, very seldom will you have to do it again.?

Wim
?
Thanks.?
?