[pianotech] Tunic Onlypure Tuner

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 06:09:02 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Jeff Deutschle <oaronshoulder at gmail.com>wrote:

> When I tried it, I ended up with nearly pure fourths and fifths...

You can't have both. They are mutually exclusive.

> When I really think about it, how could equal
> beating intervals guarantee ET?

I guess it depends on one's definition of ET. I think ET is loosely defined
as all the 4ths in the temperament beating roughly the same as other 4ths,
and all the 5ths beating the same as other 5ths, with evenly progressing
chromatic m3s, M3s, m6s, and M6s.

You can have a pure 5ths ET, a pure 4ths ET, or many combinations of a
mixture of varying widths of 4ths and 5ths.  As long as 4ths are roughly the
same, and 5ths roughly the same, you can call it ET (at least in my world).

Now, my opinion is that the best sounding ET is one with 5ths nearly pure.
Otherwise, there is too much activity in 5ths (and then 12ths and 19ths as
you progress out of the temperament -- they become far too narrow).

--
JF