[pianotech] S&S hammers only in S&S pianos??

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 9 11:07:49 PDT 2009

As I recall, the Steinway console, no longer in production, has small "console-sized" hammers. I don't think Steinway sells replacements.

I suggest you use your Yamaha piano to establish a relationship with a supplier who can advise you, and bore and thin the hammers if needed. Then you will be much clearer about how to proceed on the Steinway.

For ease of voicing, I would suggest hammers with the new production felts, Natural or Wurzen. You will have less stabbing to do, and that is also something you will appreciate when working on a vertical. It isn't easy to deep needle the hammers once they are hung on the vertical action.

Ed Sutton