[pianotech] Tunic Onlypure Tuner

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Mar 9 17:43:24 PDT 2009

Great post. That "diminishment" of beats when intervals and chords are
played happens every time when I tune. When a piano is tuned CUSTOM,
meaning for its specific and singular inharmonicity curve, the psycho-
acoustic illusion of disappearing beats occurs.
One can produce highly musical, repeatable, singing, resonant stable
tunings, based on a repeatable and highly idealized temperament, if
one chooses to unleash the power of one's own multi-trillion-dollar
package. After hundreds and thousands of repetitions, my body knows
how to tune pianos. I use it like the finest ETD; whatever the
trillion-dollar unit says, that's how I tune.
I used to override my innate wisdom, my body's unspoken skill, by
doubting my ability, rationalizing my errors, and doubting the very
nature of the physical universe, to wit: in every single piano on the
planet IF THE FOURTHS ARE EXPANDED AND SLOWLY ROLLING (1-2bps)AND THE
FIFTHS ARE CONTRACTED SLIGHTLY, WITH NO DISCERNIBLE BEAT, YOU WILL
HAVE AN IDEALIZED AND CUSTOM  EQUAL TEMPERAMENT. Period. The end.
Done. Boom!
DA