[pianotech] String Leveling question

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Mon Mar 9 18:42:03 PDT 2009

Hi Jim,

The area where I notice the most annoying string leveling problems on
spinet and  console pianos tends to be in the wound bichords.

And, as for string leveling techniques on spinets and other vertical
pianos:

The next time you tune such a beast, if you happen to notice either
that a certain bichord unison does not tune cleanly, or that it has a
"whiny" timbre that doesn't match its neighbors, go ahead and lightly
push the hammer towards the string (with the sustain pedal down to
lift the damper), and, as you hold it lightly against the pair of
strings, pluck them individually, comparing plucked sounds.  If the
muted sound that arises from the two plucks does not match, level the
strings either by pushing in the string that is sticking out (the
notch in the end of Don Mannino's T-shaped stringing hook works well
for this - thanks, Don!), or by pulling out the string which is
farthest in, using a stringing hook.  I usually prefer to push, but
sometimes in extreme cases it may be best to "split the difference"
and do a little pushing and pulling  (no comment from the wise guys in
the peanut gallery!).  It is best to do your pushing and/or pulling on
the unwound portion of the string near the upper termination.  Repeat
your hammer pushing/plucking procedure to see if the two muted plucks
match timbrally and in terms of sustain.  If not, try leveling again.
If the plucked sounds now match, readjust your unison tuning, and
listen for what is probably a noticeable improvement in the unison
quality and the timbre of that note as compared to its neighbors.
This might take a few minutes at most.

Of course, some bichords do not match each other for other reasons,
such as mismatched speaking lengths, errors in string fabrication,
bridge problems, and the like.  So, this is no panacea, but it can
make a real difference.  I'll also mention that, since the hammers are
exposed on an upright, you can accomplish a similar result by filing
the hammer until it matches both strings (or the three strings of a
trichord) using the same plucking test, instead of leveling the
strings.  This might be advisable in certain cases where the dampers
are old and crusty, and you are afraid that they might not damp well
after fooling with the string level....

In discussing my friend who is obsessive about string leveling, I
should have said that he listens for string leveling problems in 100%
of his tunings, and usually takes action to correct them when he
notices them, which is often.  However, a lightly played and regularly
serviced piano won't show obvious string leveling problems with every
tuning, so it's not true that he is actually leveling strings at
nearly 100% of his tunings, just that he is listening for it and is
willing to correct it at almost every tuning.

I think that my last post got a little sanctimonious, so, I'll say
about my own string leveling practice:  I went back and listened to a
recording for which I prepared the piano, and I can hear unlevel
strings in one exposed passage!  Ouch!  Guess I didn't get 'em all....

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh