[pianotech] Clarification on P-12ths

Bernhard Stopper b98tu at t-online.de
Tue Mar 10 00:10:13 PDT 2009

André,

among others, i offered my tuning concept also to Yamaha back in 1988.
They refused their interest by stating they have similar patents
(though i never found such in the patent publication list)
So there may still be some possibility that your protocols may have
been influenced from my work... JOKE! It is nonsense to trace back who
influenced who 15 years after a publication in a spezialized journal
and my public material on my homepage, which was publicly available
there since 1991 in german and in english.

I never accused you (André) using some of my tuning concepts. In
contrary, i would appreciate if you would do so.

It was Richard Brekne who brought your name into the older P12
priority discussion, and i just have responded that there may be a
possibility that you have been influenced by my publication, as we
talked about my tuning concept on a Mensurix seminar in Amsterdam,
hold around in 1996 or 1997 i don´t remeber exactly,  where i was
invited by your former colleague Arnold Duin. But apparently this was
not the path but it really doesn´t matter.

On request of Richard Brekne, i state hereby that it was never my
intention to accuse him using my tuning concept in some illegal way.

My intention was to inform him, that the tuning concept he proposed
with his implementation of a nineteenth root of three temperament has
a clear prior art in my tuning concept dating back to 1988, so his
contributions should not be used in terms of a proprietary concept of
his own, even if he developped it on his own finally.

It is in the responsibility of any author to do some research for
prior art if he decides to shout out a new idea to the public to avoid
such embarrassements.

Richard called me yesterday by phone to end our dispute, but with the
confirmation of André, it seems he to want to continue this never
ending soap opera :-)

Regards

Bernhard Stopper