[pianotech] Grand piano tuning pins

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 10 18:51:39 PDT 2009

Hi, Dick:
Often the strings do not "render" or move over friction points, such as agraffes and capo bars, bridges, etc.  The angle over the bearing points is too steep in some cases.  If there is  corrosion on the strings, the underfelt near the tuning pins may snag the strings.  Or the strings may not have much elasticity left, and so they don't go down in spite of loosening the tuning pins.
I've tried using some Protek on the underfelt to help things along, but it doesn't always help.
Have fun learning to deal with it.
Paul McCloud
San Diego