[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 05:26:03 PDT 2009

I have been following this thread with great interest and have been
waiting for the subject of “sense of pitch” to come up. Since it
hasn’t I will stick my neck out.

My test for proper stretch is to play an arpeggio from the 7th octave
down to the 1st (skipping the lowest two thirds and the lowest 5th)
and then repeating the tonic in the 7th octave. If this final note
sounds better when played ½ step higher, then I don’t believe there is
enough stretch. Not all music that might be played will sound “in
tune”.

Any comments on this?

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.