[pianotech] V-Bar Dilemma

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 10:17:13 PDT 2009

Sent privately:
>YC made an "improvement" to their grands at one point that consisted
>of grinding the capo flat and installing a cast termination.  As you
>have discovered it presents many problems as the cast material was
>WAY too soft and grooved immediately.  I'm not sure there is a good
>solution.  But at least you know you are not alone.  YC reverted to
>the original system after the complaints became overwhelming.  I saw
>lots of these years ago as I did a lot of contract work for
>PianoDisc who bought YCs by the carload at the time.

I don't recall this topic on the list before but it is good general
knowledge to have.
Does anyone know the years involved with this soft v-bar?

Since I can't even get one note to be stable and the rest of the
treble is shaky,
I'll have to remedy the situation in order to sell it. Maybe dealers
can push out
this crap but I'm not willing to.

Any reason why I couldn't use an easy material such as brass?
Suggestions welcome.
I'll also ease the sharp profile on the counter bearing duplex or
replace it altogether with
a half round or half oval.

So much for profit. Integrity is more important. It's not like I'll
be losing money it's just
that it'll take more hours to attain the same amount, less profitable
but more rewarding.

Regards,

Jon Page