[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Mar 13 04:38:51 PDT 2009

Ed,

Thank you for responding.  I had a suspicion that this is what was
happening.  Your experience pretty much mirrors mine.  Though at this stage
of my career, being able to focus on partials at a multiple locations, or,
particularly locations, is not instantaneous, I certainly do that, as well
as listen "musically".  I think when I first started I listened "musically"
because it was the most obvious for me, then with training, learned to
isolate partials.  I suppose over time I've come to think of musical
listening as undesireable, unfocused.  Perhaps it would serve me well to
revisit that idea.

Do you think in your experience that MOST technicians can isolate partials
at different levels?  It would seem likely to me.  And it also seems likely
that we are all capable of listening "musically," too; we probably all first
hear intervals that way.  For me, I think it's harder to listen
"musically."  My brain is just drawn to the partials.  I'll fiddle around
with it a bit.  Thanks again for taking time to respond.

William R. Monroe