[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 18:12:04 PDT 2009

Allan:

Right on! Mihalyi's book has been on my shelf since it came out a decade  ago
or so. And the experience of "flow" happens in regard to all sorts of things
piano, from tuning to regulation to center pinning to stringing to soundboard
 installation. They are all of them meditative conditions once one gets past
the  technical "uptake", the tool manipulation, and the overly analytic frame
of  mind. I still hear the beating of coincident partials as a primary tool
for  tuning, sometimes at pitch and sometimes not, since the "tool-ness" of the
beating has become such a natural aural capability now. When I started, and
as  we teach students here to learn to tune, it strikes me with great force
regularly, how arcane and lovely the spectrum of sound is as it is available to
us for our use, either in the part or in the whole. There should indeed be no
 great divide between us at this level, nor "school of thought", nor
philosophical disagreement for that matter (except for the shared distrust  for
secret knowledge even if it is a satisfaction as a rationale) since we all  use all
of these methodologies in one way or another as we tune in "flow" and as
precisely as possible. As Ed Sutton once said, we tuners make more ethical
decisions in an hour and a half than most ministers make in a month. His point
was, I think, that we have the capability to make such fine distinctions toward
the good and tuning is rife with the pitfalls of "good enough". Whatever one
calls their style of tuning, let us not make our style designation a matter
of exclusion nor disdain. Let us simply share "open" knowledge, not its
opposite.

Paul

In a message dated 3/13/2009 6:35:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,