[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sat Mar 14 08:20:29 PDT 2009

The Seventh Dragon by Anita Sullivan, in a 2nd edition has been  around for a
long time, Brian.

Paul

In a message dated 3/14/2009 3:04:56 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
pianocare2 at bigpond.com writes:

Hi David and  others..
David, your  first paragraph is inspiring. In my last post I gave examples of
different  thoughts of technicians and their personal view of how to achieve
their goals.  I am still wondering about my tuning example from yesterday as I
seemed to  perform the same tuning in two different ways. The open string
method sounded  better to me but it could have been job satisfaction and
confidence in my  work.
I am intrigued on the  “technique developed by Virgil” as we seem to give
him credit for the idea,  however I am sure it was happening here and in other
countries. Virgil seems  to have got the credit for the system, and I say good
luck to  him.
I would still like a  dollar for every time I have heard “my tuning process
is the best ever, and  the only way to perform it” There is a tuner here who
advertises that he tunes  “equal temperament with perfect fifths” Apparently he
is the only qualified  tuner around……
However…. In this  thread I have noticed “flow, zone, leap of faith,
believing in yourself,  meditation, etc. I am now waiting for a book to come out…. “
Zen and the Art  of Piano Tuning”…… Ha
I wish to also add a  little psychology and it comes from the practitioners
of NLP. (well they claim  ownership)
The 4 parts of  learning… 1. Unconscious incompetence, 2. conscious
incompetence, 3. Conscious  competence and 4.  Unconscious competence.
This can be applied  to any human activity.
Now thanks to David’s  post, let’s not be influenced by the negative
must be on the right  track.
Regards
Brian  Wilson