[pianotech] Miking a piano

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 14 08:28:07 PDT 2009

Very flexible set up...
David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044

Original message
From: "John Formsma"
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Miking a piano

Hey guys ... don't forget this mic arrangement.  I saw this yesterday on a first-time piano. <G>

--
JF

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Mark Purney <mark.purney at mesapiano.com> wrote:
It's nothing more than a suspension mount, using elastic cord to hold the microphone in place. This allows the microphone to live inside the piano, regardless of the lid being open or closed. The elastic cord isolates the microphone from the vibrations of the plate.
I think it sounds pretty good - not spectacular, but quite acceptable for everyday use in a church. I'm sure it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as an Earthworks PM40 system, but at 1/20th of the cost, I would not expect it to. :)