[pianotech] key position at rest

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 15 10:51:58 PDT 2009

Hi Jon

My situation is a bit different... but the point is pretty much the
same.  There is a 2 mm thick extra felt on the key end felts, the key
rest rail felt (underfelt) looks to be non original and too thin, and
there is almost no paper punchings under the balance rail felt
punchings. Another good one here... there was so much paper under the
black keys front rail punchings that the white keys were stopping on the
black key front felt punchings. Very cute.

Well well... learned something new today.  Thanks for pointing out the
article, and for your two posts.

Cheers
RicB

         >...I see how you can trace backwards  with these specs tofind
        the key height and key end height.

    OK, now to confuse things a bit...

    A few years ago, a dealer asked me to see what I could do with the
    high BW on a S&S B since the in-house guy's only thought was to add
    more lead to the already overly leaded keys.

    I noticed there was two rather thick pieces of underfelt on the back
    rail. This necessitated an inordinately thick amount of punchings on
    the balance rail to maintain key height. But the key end felt height
    was 1 3/8".  And the Magic Line was way too low, respectively.