[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 15 11:45:53 PDT 2009

In your post, you talked about the distance from balance rail hole to
wippen center via the capstain-wippen contact point.  You stated,
correctly, that this distance grows shorter as the contact point
approaches the magic line.  Can the path get shorter without the
capstain sliding?  At the magic line, the distance stops growing
shorter.  Beyond the magic line, the distance grows longer.  If we can
agree that distance change = capstain sliding, then the only place the
capstain does not slide is right at the magic line.  Draw it out, and
see if you don't agree.

Mike