[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 15 14:51:22 PDT 2009

Dale,
I think we'll have to go to Chris for the answer to that.  The term
"frictionless involute" doesn't ring any bells for me.  An involute is a
precisely defined geometric curve.  A curve, in and of itself, has no
friction properties.  In my experience the capstain and wippen heel are
neither involutes nor frictionless.  I wish I had been there to hear the
context of his remarks.

Mike