[pianotech] high leverage action

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sun Mar 15 19:08:14 PDT 2009

Cheers Ric and all,

I'd like to reiterate my take on the "happy marriage" between
distance ratio and weight ratio which is this:  Distance ratio
divided by Weight Ratio represents what I call the "Efficiency Ratio"
it's a ratio of ratios.   What I'm finding is that if the efficiency
ratio is 1.0 or higher then your going to have success with low
ratio/high leverage actions.  If it's below 1.0 then your going to
have to cram the blow too much and settle for a too much  dip... I'm
talking actions with Strike Weight Ratios in the mid to low 5's.  The
most efficient action I've measured had an average strike weight
ratio of 4.8 and regulated with a .390" dip and a 1 3/4" blow.  It
was an older Bosendorfer.   Someday I'd like to revisit that action
and look at the geometry to try and figure why it's set up so well as
well as determine it's E-ratio.  I imagine too that with higher ratio
actions that the E-ratio is important too.. but it's less of an issue
with regulation... There was a time when 1/4 inch dip was normal....
the older Erards...  I've only studied one in Holland... it had a 6.6
weight ratio and a 1/2 to 3/4 low strike weight level.  But alas!  a
sample of one piano has the least meaning.... I'd like to do nothing
but pure research but vocation calls!

Frank is right about measuring ratios...it can be dicey... that's the
real world....  One has to act like a scientist (not a rocket
scientist!).   Techniques have to be standardized and repeatable with
statistical methods followed.   I like to take a minimum of 6 ratio
samples... middle c,c# and double octaves below and above middle
C.... that would be notes 16,17,40,41,64, & 65.

Dale Erwins little jig by Spurlock is a very nice quick survey
method... gets you right in the ballpark.   But I would not consider
it a highly accurate scientific method.  Little variations in the key
level, reading the scale, or regulation can skew the result...  The
method I use measures the hammer movement to the nearest tenth of a
millimeter.  I use a digital caliper to control the downward movement
of the key.  I block up the rep lever height button so that the
knuckle is sitting only on the jack without support of the rep lever
which might skew it....

I'm awed by technical CAD and computer tech skills that folks like
Frank Emerson, Scott Jones, Bruce Clark and others are putting to
use... it's all relevant and it all goes into the mix of shared
knowledge thanks to the Internet..... we've come so far in the last
decade... it just get's more and more interesting, relevant, and
useful!

Gotta run!

Ciao,

David S