[pianotech] VS Profelt on dampers????

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 09:58:31 PDT 2009

On 3/16 Barbra Richmond wrote

" Did Bob really say soak it?  At CERS last fall he told me someone had used
a small amount to help seat a damper.  Maybe it depends on what the trouble
is and/or the condition of the damper felt."

Barbra, I called pianotek this morning and talked to Bob. For clarification,
he used the words "Wet it,or dampen it" He also said "lightly wet it".

For the record I'm sorry if I used "soak" (no sarcasm intended). I guess I
could have thought out my description a bit better.

I did try a few drops of it on a couple of damper bi cords on an old Kimball
Consol. I cannot say how well it worked. I would think if there were any
improvement, it might be noticeable the next day. I had a very old console
action with a crispy mildew/saltwater coating on the damper felt. After I
blew all the crud off with my shop vac, I lightly sanded the mono and bi
cords with 250 grit sand paper. I just needled the flats to fluff em up.
When I returned the action I must say it was greatly improved. I
strengthened some damper springs in the bass and it got even a little bit
better. I thought hey it's damping almost as well as a new three legged
spinet!!!

Again, sorry for the missunderstanding.

Steve Blasyak

Orange County Chapter