[pianotech] high leverage action

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Mon Mar 16 18:28:04 PDT 2009

> Key Ratio taken Stanwood style is done with the key level. So distance
> measuring along the top of the key instead of the way its usually done
> (top front down to balance rail at the pin and up again to the capstan)
> gives the same results as in the horizontal position all weight values are
> vertical forces. Course this changes when you move the key, but thats the
> same in anycase.  If you measure distances the usual way, you may find a
> slight difference... or not.. but you have to be sure your measurements
> are very very accurate.  1/ 1.83 = 0.54~ btw.

**** Will work on remeasuring the horizontal method - seems much easier.
Never dreamed that 1/measured ratio would equal KR - makes sense now. A
great
cross check on work progress.

> As long as the stack is aligned correctly over a straight line of capstans
> all yielding the same KR, and the heals all the same distance from their
> respective flange centers, there will be no difference in effective WW.
> For any key with a 0.5 ratio, a distance of 10 mm movment at the front
> will result in a 5 mm movement in the opposite direction at the capstan so
> whippen travel will remain constant.

***** Right now, the only thing on the action that is paralell to the
whippen rail
is the hammer rail and maybe the back rail. Capstan line is different in
bass and treble by
3mm in relation to the whippen rail - but the line is straight. Balance rail
is also different.
It makes sense that the constant KR - regardless of the overall key length -
would yield
a constant rise at the capstan but if the whippen heals are aligned to the
whippen rail
they will differ slightly in alignment with the capstans by 3mm across the
action - changing WW. Am I reading
too much into this?

> Seems to me if you can find an acceptable way of increasing leverage then
> you should do so to get into usual ball park figure for key dip and blow.
> THEN re-address your BW  by adding what looks to be moderate levels of key
> leading.

**** I believe that I will solve geometry by decreasing action spread by 2mm
from 113 to 111 - this will give me adaquate
blow distance. Then I will move the capstans back by 3mm - this will give
back most of the leverage that will be lost by
shortening spread and allow the whippen heals will completely cover the
capstans.
Thank you so much for your help and insights - I have learned a great deal.

Gene