[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Mar 16 19:16:42 PDT 2009

Yes, but it would make sense if it did. Oh..I forgot.. that's not one of Steinways concerns these days.
 Dale
 PS...VT who are you?

Except that the accelerated action doesn't utilize a tilted capstan.
David Love
ww.davidlovepianos.com

 T Writes
ent: Monday, March 16, 2009 3:55 PM
o: pianotech at ptg.org
ubject: [pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

 think this is a case where two parameters are available for optimizing. One is
riction, and the other is the action ratio. However, the question is which of
he two is more important to optimize?
We can minimize the friction during the stroke, as Ron Overs did. This actually
ilts the capstan in the opposite direction from what S&S did. Alternatively, we
an explore if there is some benefit to a ratio that changes as a function of
ey position. When I last looked at Steinway’s tilted heel/capstan geometry, I
oncluded that the design intent was a changing ratio rather than minimal
riction. This may very well be the biggest “secret” of the so-called
ccelerated action.