[pianotech] action ratio gauge update was---high leverage action

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Mar 18 07:01:40 PDT 2009

   Thanks David A
   for the update
   I am interested in this as well.
   Dale

-Hi Bob & Frank/All
    I appreciate your words of support Frank and the confirmation of your research & may I just say that Bob & I did have this discussion & the merit of his suggested method uses more of the complete motion to assess overall action ratio.
 Dave Stanwoods comments about the action ratio gauge being a tool to get you close but should not consider it a scientific tool is also notworthy & for microspoic analysis I suggest more complete study before pinning down a final conclusion
  However for quick work in the field or on the bench the action ratio gauge set up with the 6 mm foot will give a close infield  ballpark reading. For example if the gauge reads a hammer rise of 36 mm, this is a 6 to 1 ratio. Note thought It is 9 or 10 mm short of using a complete hammer blow distance of 45 mm which I see in many Stwy pianos & others
   I thought about doing some experiments by modifying the foot on my gauge to 8 mm. A 6 to 1 ratio with An 8 mm foot will cause 48 mm of hammer rise. In which case the let-off button would need to be screwed up on many actions which is only slightly inconvenient but This modification would take into account more of the hammer travel as Bob suggested.
 Of course a lower ratio say 5.5 to 1 creates only 44 mm of hammer rise so in
most c ases would be very workable. Routinely though action ratios seem to average something like 5.3 to 6.3.Yes, there are anomaly on either side of this..
   I think I'll do some comparison testing of a 6 mm & 8 mm foot on the action ratio block & see how much of a difference is had by allowing more of the entire key stroke come into the equation. This may be especially important when diagnosing the angled capstan systems we've been discussing.
  I will say even using it with the 6 mm foot has given me a Polaroid snapshot & better quick idea to begin assessing the direction of the entire job than using nothing at all, which is what I do when I have no tools handy. How bout you'all?
  Dale