[pianotech] Tuning in a down economy

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Mar 18 11:40:03 PDT 2009

As I have explained, I bought the piano tuning business of a tuner who died. Well, I need to clarify that. Shortly after we moved here, another piano tuner told me this lady wanted to  sell her husband card file. Which is exactly what it was. A box full of 3 x 5 cards with the names, addresses and phone numbers of all his clients. (On a side note, since he was born and raised on this island, he knew all the streets, and he never sent any of them any mail. So there were no zip codes on the cards. I had to look up each customer's address and cross reference it with a map and zip code directory. It took me almost 24 hours to enter all the cards in the computer.) About 450 were "active" clients. he had been tuning some of them for over 20 years. Then there were about 200 inactive customers, who he had tune only once or twice, as much as 10 years ago. They all got a letter of introduction. More than 100 came back.

I now have 460 customers, of which about 2/3 are from this tuner, the rest from a combination of advertising, a store, and word of mouth. The only people I sent a card to were the once that had never contacted me, and about 80 for whom I had tuned only once.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943