[pianotech] Donating tunings and tax deductions

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Wed Mar 18 16:16:33 PDT 2009

 I thought that an organization receiving a donated tuning could provide the technician with a letter thanking the technician as if it had been a cash donation.? I played in a pit orchestra for a local theater group (a very long time ago) that had no money to pay us, so they gave us all letters stating,"Thank you for your donation of $XXX to the XYZ Opera House"? As we were all professional musicians (at least we thought we were) we were told it could be used as a tax deduction.

Would this not work for tunings as well?? (would the IRS consider this fraud?)

Gordon Large, RPT
Hallowell, ME

?

It was my understanding according to my tax accountant that, they have to
PAY us and then, we have to write them a check back in order to deduct
anything...