[pianotech] Soundboard Lacquer Finish

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Mar 20 17:11:56 PDT 2009

Dale:

I am impressed with the amount of work you (and others) do on the finish of
the soundboard. It shows your respect for your craft even if no-one else sees
the actual "finished" product under the strings and plate (other than the
next  rebuilder after we're long dead and worm-eaten).

Even though I don't put as much "back" into the finishing, I love to work
with the board, before and after it's in, trimming it out and getting it ready
for the next major belly steps. It represents a major achievement in the craft
 we pursue, and although I do use Andre's and don't make my own boards (at
least not yet, with space and time issues), handling, fitting, treating, and
finally seeing the expanse of finely shaped wood in place is still
breath-taking  to me. After 22 years of soundboard installation. Still a wonder.

Bridge work is right up there, too! I'm considering going to the untreated
top surface. Have been using the traditional DAG for years. What do you do  on
the tops for finish?

Paul

In a message dated 3/20/2009 6:59:23 P.M. Central Daylight Time,