[pianotech] Soundboard Lacquer Finish

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 20:43:39 PDT 2009

Use fresh varnish and make sure there is compatible sealer and I’ve never had a problem.   Pour what remains in the can in an airtight jar.  If you use old varnish and don’t stir it properly the hardeners can separate and sink to the bottom of the can.  I find that the varnish is faster, no rub out required.  Two coats of sealer (dries in about 30 minutes).  Sand between coats.  First coat of varnish when leaving the shop.  Sand lightly the next day and put on the second coat when leaving the shop that day.  No rub out, no polishing, no pumice, swirly whirlies, three types of paper and polishing compounds, wax, lacquer to mix (make sure it’s not too hard and cracks all over the place or crazes in some weird way or turns white from too much humidity in the air), no spray guns to clean and no air pollution generated.  But I know a lot of people prefer lacquer these days.  I don’t.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com