[pianotech] Willis Snyder

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Mon Mar 23 15:05:23 PDT 2009

Isn't it telling that one of our best present day rebuilders, Dale Erwin, is
letting us know that he does not feel he would be where he is today without
the influence and wisdom of Willis Snyder?  And my guess is that Willis left
that great lasting impression on so very many who have "turned out well".

But Dale, how could you talk about Willis' bow tie and leave out the tuxedo
that he so often wore to these conventions?

I always attended Willis and David's classes whenever I could.  I gained an
immense amount of knowledge from them, but I think the greatest influence
Willis had on me was to leave a deep impression of what it means to be a
real piano "craftsman" - how important it was, and why it should be so much
of who we are.  And to begin to reach for things that seemed far from my
grasp as a piano technician at that time.  There simply was an
uncompromising integrity to his work and person.

The older I get, the more I am struck by the quality of company I have been
able to keep as a piano technician and rebuilder.  To have had the
opportunity to have met Willis and experienced his person and knowledge I
consider a privilege and a blessing.

My humble thanks to you Willis, wherever you are.

Will Truitt