[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 15:59:41 PDT 2009

At 23:30 +0000 22/3/09, John Delacour wrote:

>Kirkman's tall bridges, on the grands at least, were built of spruce
>with a thick (about 1/2") beech capping and steep notches.  Sound
>travels faster in spruce.

I've just dusted off one of the uprights, which has a bridge fully
45mm at the treble end.  This also has a slow-grown spruce (about 1.5
mm per annum) root with the rings parallel to the soundboard, and the
top is of beech about 15 mm deep.  This piano advertises itself as a
"Vertical Iron Grand".  I remove the name-rail and the fall when
asking people to assess it and everyone comments that it sounds and
behaves like a grand, without knowing what it is.  I am convinced
that its quality is due largely to the bridge, combined with a very
good string scale (agraffes all through).

JD