[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Mon Mar 23 20:29:08 PDT 2009

Hi Will,

The way I see it, you have an ideal string plane that is level and parallel
to the keybed across the compass and down the string longitudinally (prior
to being offset by the bridge). The design spec for string height is
directly related to the ideal action geometry via the strike point, hammer
bore, center coordinates, parts' geometry, key proportions, entrance height
etc. ie change one, change all.

So now it depends where you want to start redesigning this thing.

First, we know Steinways are designed with a string height of 7-1/2" or
191mm. It is typical to see them dip down in the high treble to 189 or 188.
I would correct this if I could to level the plate out from bass to treble
allowing for some upward bowing in the tenor section and minor discrepencies
that cannot be corrected without refitting the capos.

Now imagine your ideally level longitudinal plane being parallel to the top
of your bridge. Insert the bridge and you have two angles formed that
together make up your downbearing. This composite angle of 0.5 to 1.5 degree
angle is barely perceptible and changes ever so slightly, depending on the
ratio of the speaking length to the backscale and changes to the bridge
height and counter bearing height. I'm not BTW taking into account any
changes this will introduce to the load. The further the bridge is from
strikepoint, the less any minor changes in bridge height will have on the
string height. In addition, the shorter the backscale relative to the
speaking length, the greater that rear bearing angle will be. Thus you may
be able to make your plate height adjustment at the back to accommodate a
taller cap without affecting the string height.

If you're going to change the string height, do so purposefully, knowing all
resultant changes.

As for spruce roots, I'm not sure speed of sound is a factor in range of
human hearing as far as I know; although I don't doubt they sound different.
Not to mention that any inherent stiffness in additional height is easily
mitigated by the material.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts