[pianotech] mileage tracking

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at att.net
Mon Mar 23 23:04:29 PDT 2009

David Ilvedson wrote:
> How are techs keeping tracking of their mileage?   I would like to be
> able enter mileage and have it do the math...probably a
> spreadsheet...but on a PDA
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA 94044
The way I keep mileage is to, first, start by mapping to and from
directions by MapQuest.

Take that figure and round up (I do that because I figure the first time
you are looking for the place)

Then double it (for round trip)

Then multiply it times the current business mileage rate. For 2009, it's
0.55 cents a mile.

(Now comes the easy part, at least for me. I have setup my accounting
program to literally mimic the 1040 Schedule C for the chart of accounts)

So I just add that number to the Car & Truck expenses (Schedule C - Line 9)

I personally like mileage because it's easier to remember - instead of
actual maintenance costs.

---------

Now, to solve the problem of figuring your Office Use of your house,
which I cleared with my accountant when I started, I calculate Business
Use (Line 25) by keeping track of my utilities as a percentage of your
house space.

For example, if you are using 25% of your overall house space as
business work space, then you create one pocket for utilities (Cell
phone, electric, gas, phone, sewer, trash, water). Take each one of
those costs x 25% and you have your business use cost. Now if you have a
dedicated cell phone or second house phone line then you take the full
amount.

This way you don't have to worry about - literally - setting aside and
dedicating rooms and making sure you comply with the tax rules.

----------

If you have a way to customize your accounting package to mimic to 1040
Schedule C then your accounting becomes a "piece of cake". I've even got
mine commented with the schedules' line numbers.

Duaine

--

Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years