[pianotech] CA glue vs. PinTite or Garfield's?

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Tue Mar 24 10:46:40 PDT 2009

CA glue expands the wood fibers, and then promptly solidifies in that
configuration. I've had great success with it, and it's an easy process
to explain to customers. I have no experience with other methods, so I
simply have to trust the wisdom of those who have used both and
typically claim the CA provides better, and longer-lasting results.

The obvious cons to CA are the fumes, and the concern that a
re-application (if ever needed) may have little effect, since the wood
fibers have already absorbed what they are going to absorb.

And one final warning about CA that you don't hear too often: Don't use
cotton rags with CA glue, because you could have a fire on your hands. I
once had a cotton rag get very hot in my hand and start smoldering
because some CA got on it. Here is a video of a cotton ball catching on
fire just by applying CA:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/613004/spontaneous_combustion_how_to/