[pianotech] Point of contact between capstan and wippen heel

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Tue Mar 24 12:06:06 PDT 2009

---- Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net> wrote:
> I've noticed that sufficient after touch can not be obtained when introducing a 17 mm knuckle radius.

I'm not sure how your reference to the knuckle has relevance to the angle of the capstan?

>A severe (16+ degree) angled capstan has all the
> lift happening on the front portion of the capstan. .....

It is a valid point that changing the angle of the capstan can be used as a method to alter the point of contact between the capstan and wippen, especially as you approach an action in front of you on the workbench.  To my thinking, in cyberspace, these or two separate issues.  Putting the contact point where you calculate that it needs to be is one thing.  The angle of the capstan is another.  The centerline of the capstan should be collinear with a line between the center points of the arcs of the capstan top and the wippen heel at half-blow.  It's not a huge deal, but this arrangement gives the system the greatest chance that the edge of the capstan will begin to dig into the felt as it become more deeply imbedded with wear, compaction, and time.

The arcs of most wippen heels are indistinct or nonexistent.  A few have such "tilting" contours that it is clear an angled capstan is intended to mate with it.  I'm not saying the wippen dictates the angle of the capstan, but it limits the range of potential angles that will work well with it.

Frank Emerson