[pianotech] CA glue vs. PinTite or Garfield's

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 24 19:40:07 PDT 2009

Since no one has mentioned any of the benefits of the traditional pinblock
restorers, I would share a few observations.  I have used Garfield's for
several decades.  First, I always explain that the best choice for many
pianos is complete restringing and will gladly give a quote or referral for
more thorough job.  Glycerin is the main active ingredient in either
Lunsford's or Garfield's.  I have heard that this is used to preserve wood
in some woodworking applications.  I have used CA glue on many tuning pins
over the years also.  If the pinblock has not already been treated, I find
better results with Garfield's.  It is a much more time consuming job the
way it was taught to me. I don't remember by whom.  For any of the liquid
treatments, removing or protecting the action is vital; you won't like CA
glue any better than glycerin and alcohol in the action parts.  For
traditional liquid treatment, I set up three appointments.  The first to
clean and apply one half of a bottle, diluted as per instructions (the
alcohol is the vehicle that carries the other stuff into the wood, then it
dries.)  A week later, the second application of the second half bottle goes
in.  Two weeks later the piano should be ready to tune.  If you carefully
apply it with a syringe tip, it really doesn't make a mess.  Is it a
wonderful feeling pinblock to tune?  No, but the pins will hold the tension
and that feels way better that trying to tune pins that won't hold.

The pin tightness normally improves over the next year or two.  If the
traditional treatments fail, CA glue added later gives a better feel and
tightness than either do by themselves.  This is my number one reason, there
is a fallback method aside form rebuilding or replacing the piano.  On the
two or three pianos I have used CA glue in after someone had long ago used
Lunsford's or Garfield's, the results were excellent.  If you start, using
only CA glue, after one treatment with CA glue, nothing more seams to help.
I would rather repin a block that had CA glue in it than the glycerin stuff,
but I would want to replace or plug the pinblock in either case.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter