[pianotech] more on nineteen note temperament

Greg Hollister ghollpiano at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 24 19:41:36 PDT 2009

This guy is a piano teacher and a physics major who wants to explore and compose in  a new direction. It is, in fact, an octave divided into 19 notes and it has apparently been around for a while. I'm trying to figure out how to respond to the idea. I realize we are talking piano anathema here..  Since a 19 note temperament could only make for about 4 1/2 octaves on an 88 note keyboard something would have to give in a big way. Without re-scaling the piano I'd probably have to chooose some bass note (say A2) as a bottom note and then crank down everything above it accordingly. I'm sure there are some out there who have been asked to prepare a piano ala John Cage and this would be along that line. Again, I'm not planning on doing this on rental Steinway.  Greg Hollister RPT
Live long and prosper.