[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Mar 25 13:08:41 PDT 2009

I'm not sure it's possible to "compromise" one of these actions. The original
geometry is usually so screwed up most anything we do--even if it's a
mistake--will be an improvement.

I do not consider any potential action geometry changes when I'm making the
decision whether or not to raise the plate and make the treble bridge a bit
taller. Once the new soundboard and bridges are in and plate has been set where
I want it I match the action to the new string plane. That means that the stack
will be set to an appropriate height and fore and aft position, an appropriate
hammer bore will be selected and the capstans will be placed in an appropriate
position. In these pianos I tend to use low-tension scaling with relatively
light soundboard panels and ribbing. Hence the hammer weight will be on the
light side and the action geometry will be a little quick.

We can get all carried away with minutia that is essentially meaningless if
we're not careful. In the end, though, it's how it all works together that is
going to count. I've followed up on so may action and piano rebuilds over the
years where the technician doing the work was completely obsessed over one or
two details (which were done perfectly) but the whole job simply didn't work and
the owner wasn't satisfied. I've also followed up on a few in which many aspects
of the job were a bit sloppy and/or just a little off but overall the piano
sounded pretty good and played pretty well and the owner reasonably pleased.

In this case I prefer to start with a bridge that I know works. I am confident
that when the time comes to set up the action I can make it work quite nicely.

ddf

  _____