[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Mar 26 04:43:59 PDT 2009

OK, Ron

As I understand it, and I make no claim to have the practical experience and
knowledge of yourself and others who have raise bridge heights over a number
of pianos and years, Steinway bridges tend to be too short in the treble.
They also tend to often lack sustain and volume in that area.  A short
bridge (my example A-2 at note 88 is 25.5 mm) will have less stiffness and
mass compared to a taller bridge; indeed, less stiffness and mass than lower
in the scale on this same bridge, where it is tallest at note 21 at 33 mm.
Yet higher stiffness and mass in the high treble bridge are (among many
other things) properties that (skillfully applied) result in an increase in
treble sustain and volume.  The consensus I have gathered from others who
have experience doing this is that it is generally not necessary to increase
the bridge height by a similar amount elsewhere.  Del has indicated that for
a piano like this A-2, a high treble note 88 bridge height of 30 to 34 mm.
is what he would target.  Where I will put it as a finished height, I can't
say yet.  I am given to understand that raising the bridge height elsewhere
in the scale does not carry sufficient advantage to merit doing so, at least
within this particular context.  Thus, I gather that practitioners taper the
bridge from the increased height in the treble to something approximating
the original values at the low end, and you will end up with a bridge that
is roughly the same height everywhere.  I will decline to give you exact
numbers presently - I don't have enough information from the piano yet.  Let
me reiterate that I have not yet even pulled the wire off this piano and
lifted the plate.

I am very meticulous in teardown, and take lots of measurements.  I really
enjoy taking a piano apart for the first time, because the piano tells you
its story at that time - the good, the bad, and the ugly.  If you are asking
me exactly what I am going to do, the most honest answer I can give you is
that I do not know because I have not completed the process yet.  I will be
more than happy to share my values with one and all at the time when I am
ready, and hopefully made some intelligent and informed decisions.  If I
haven't, I am not afraid to expose my ignorance because I do not want to own
it forever.  What has now become a long thread here on the forum has taught
me a lot, and I expect to learn more.

I am a very long way from cutting wood.  I have a lot of time and work
between now and then.

You keep asking me about whether I am going to raise the bridge and plate
heights in the treble, but I have already stated on several occasions that
is exactly my intention, and what I will likely do.  Yet to be determined is
how much of each.

As for the hammer boring, will I need to taper when it is all said and done?
Maybe, maybe not.  I'll decide when I have a strung plate in the rim and I
retake all my string height measurements.  Very likely that 6.5 mm
difference will shrink substantially, perhaps enough to not need to taper
the bore.  I have bored hammers for 20 years and done it both ways, and am
not married to doing it one way or the other.  I don't think I am
misunderstanding the relationships between hammer bore and the changes in
bridge height that will be made, as you seem to think. I will be dealing
with the bridge and plate height changes as they exist in the reinstalled
string frame before I bore the hammers.  Would I taper the bore for 1.5 mm.
if that is what it ends up being?  Probably not, as I would generally not
consider it significant enough to bother.

I value and appreciate your ongoing input on this subject.

Respectfully yours,

Will