[pianotech] CA glue vs. PinTite or Garfield's

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 08:33:01 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:13 AM, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

>  That's when I first heard about CA...at some convention a long time
> ago.   Probably a good person to be doing business with...
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA 94044
>  ------------------------------

Thanks to all,
I again find the intent of my remarks taken to an almost absurd level.

The subject at hand was the treatment of pinblocks, piano pinblocks.

I have some friends who work for a sign company and they assure me they have
never used pinblock material for signmaking.

My wife is a nurse trained in surgical settings and she assures me she has
never seen anything resembling a pinblock in any portion of the human body,
that belonged there at least.
I received my first Schaff, Hale, Apsco and Ford catalogs in 1969 and they
all offered either Lunsfords, Pintite or both, no CA.

I checked and the patent date for Lunsfords was 1964.

I don't recall the exact year I first saw CA offered in any of those
catalogs nor do they promote it for pinblock treatment in their current
issues.

Most importantly I was speaking from MY perspective, when I first became
aware of it's use for treatment of pinblocks.

I was simply attempting to voice my opinion(still America, right?) that CA
MIGHT not be the answer for every case. IMHO there might be the occasion
when PinTite was the more favorable choice, for pinblocks!

Not signs, closing surgical wounds, gluing construction workers helmets to
I-beams or the myriad other uses it's been put to.

I have old uprights that I treated with PinTite 20 or more years ago that
are still going, still tunable, that would be in the landfill otherwise. I
don't have that history or provenance with CA.

Mike
--

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404