[pianotech] Kimball action bracket screws

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 08:49:50 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Chuck Raynor <diggeray at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi list,
> While tuning a Kimball console with Schwander action the other day, I
> noticed the screws holding the action brackets to the piano were different
> than I, with my limited experience, have seen before.  Thought I'd ask about
> them before I have to take them out someday!  They  seem to be a cross
> between a philips head and a square drive--that's the best I can do.  They
> don't look like a philips screwdriver would be very effective.  What's the
> tool of choice?
> Thanks.
> Chuck Raynor
> Raynor Piano Service
> Beaufort, SC

Hi Chuck,

I used to work for a Kimball dealer(and I lived to tell about it). I know
those screws you're talking about. You've had some good advice from
everybody. If you feel it's going to be a regular customer, I would
seriously consider replacing those screws with some sturdy hardware store
replacements.
They always had a suspicious look and color to me like they were some kind
of "pot metal" and not a good steel screw. I was always afraid they would
snap on me.

Good luck,

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404