[pianotech] string "exercising"

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Mar 29 08:31:19 PDT 2009

David Love wrote:
> Haven't noticed that but on pianos where the angle is severe between the
> tuning pin and speaking length I take care to lower the pitch before raising
> it just to be sure that it's not frozen there. Usually the bass strings
> operate at a relatively low BP, at least when compared with the upper
> treble, but not always.
>
> David Love

I suspect they just seem more elastic on the second pass
because you aren't moving them far. Otherwise, no, I haven't
noticed that either.

Some of the "not always" I've found in original scales are:

Kimball gr: 64% High mono
Knabe gr: 55%, high bi
Hamburg C: 55%, high mono  -  60%, high bi
Baldwin M: 64%, G#-2 bi
Young Chang G175: 74%, high bi
Yamaha U1: 74%, high bi
Baldwin R: 76%, High bi
Steinway L: 65%, bi
Steinway O: 60%, high bi
Steinway M: 65%, bi
M&H A: 65%, high bi

I wouldn't call the 55%-60% ranges to be in any real danger if
the string maker can make a decent eye, but I find the
65%-75% a tad on the scary side.
Ron N