[pianotech] tips, tuning pin ends

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 29 20:10:51 PDT 2009

Sorry to be late on this thread, but I want to add another observation.  My
tuning mentor, Frank Lord, liked to use a #3 tuning tip for most pianos.  I
followed suit and used one for years.  He told us that it would sit farther
down on the tuning pins and grab the pin lower, closer to the coil.  That
way the tuning pin would be twisted less than if it were grabbed from the
top of the pin.  This idea made a lot of sense.  But, when I took a good
look at that #3 tip of mine when it was too worn to keep using, I had a good
laugh.  All of the wear in the tip was way up.  It was not gripping the
tuning pin any lower than a #2 tip would have.

I like to bring a couple of tuning pins to try the fit on new heads when I
am buying new ones.  While it may be true that all tuning pins are not
exactly the same, I find the tips that fit well on two different 2/0 pins
will fit well on most.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter