[pianotech] Build a Zapper

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 30 08:03:23 PDT 2009

	My question is, what are we trying to accomplish with the Zapper?  Are we
trying to "iron" the felt, remove moisture, "singe" the felt (smoke the
bushing), or drive out the vertigris?  Even if you use two soldering irons,
that pin conducts heat very well, and you're going to heat the wood in the
birds-eye anyway.  Whatever the idea, you don't want to ruin the bushing in
the process.  This discussion is probably in the archives somewhere.  It is
not something that should be done on a quality instrument, as the result is
usually a very loose flange pin fit.  It is a down-and-dirty fix when you
don't want to, customer can't afford to, or otherwise aren't going to fix
it the right way.  Do I have one?  Yup.  Do I use it? Yup, but I don't
expect to get 4-6 swings consistently.
	Having said that, I have thought of ways to regulate the heat produced, as
suggested by Jeff.  The trick is to have the timer begin when the probe and
pin are a complete circuit.  It's not always easy to make the probe contact
the center pin to complete the circuit because the pin is often buried in
the bushing.  A foot switch would work, with a separate circuit for the
power source and a continuity checker.  You would connect the probe, and
verify the circuit was closed by using the continuity checker (a buzzer
perhaps), then press the switch. The continuity checker  would then
disconnect and send power to the probe.
	I've built several of these, and one problem I had using a doorbell
transformer was that the transformer has a built-in safeguard that prevents
a fire in case there's a short circuit.  Guess what?  The Zapper is a short
circuit device!  After a few uses, the transformer gives up.  What is
needed is a current limiter (resistor) in the circuit.  The formula is
E=IR.  If you have constant voltage (E), your current (I) will vary
inversely with the resistance (R).  Another formula is for power: P=IE.
Power (P) is current times voltage.  If your transformer is 12 volts, and
you have a resistor of 120 ohms, you will get 0.1 amp of current (divide 12
by 120).  Then, multiply 0.1amp times 12 volts, and you get 1.2 watts of
power.  Your resistor must be able to carry 1.2 watts (most common
resistors are 1/2 watt).  A potentiometer (variable resistor) in the
circuit will work to vary the power output.  If you had a 12 ohm resistor,
you'd have 1 amp of current (careful here- can your transformer handle 1
amp?), and you would have 12 watts of power (12 volts times 1 amp) and
you'd need a large resistor capable of 12 watts of power.  	Constructing an
electronic device with enough complexity to survive constant use is a
little more complicated than it may appear.  A Zapper made of a doorbell
transformer is extremely crude.  There may be some potential in a more
carefully designed circuit to accomplish one's desired purpose.  Purchasing
a constant current device (such as is suggested) seems a little overboard,
but there is certainly room for further investigation and experimentation.
	Now, where is my pin extractor...

Paul  McCloud KQ6FL
San Diego

home center. A doorbell transformer 10 to 14 volt is sufficient, some AC
cord and an AC plug for the AC side of the transformer. Some DC wire about
10 gauge is sufficient and some connectors both the crimp kind for splicing
2 ends together and the round ended kind to bolt through. A  small piece of
masonite, hardboard or even pegboard about 1/2" X 3/4" and a large tweezers
and lastly a small diameter non-metallic bolt and nut.
> > You begin by disconnecting the two arms of the tweezers, you can also
make the tweezer arms from old hack saw blades cut in half, grinding one
end to a point and bending it over.
> > Clamp the tweezer arms with the masonite or whatever you choose to use,
between them and drill a hole large enough for the small bolt to fit
through.

> > Attach the AC cords to the approriate ends of the transformer and the
plug to the end of the cord. (I used an old lamp cord with a pre-molded
plug) Attach the 10 Ga wires to the DC side of the transformer, attach the
round ended connectors to the open ends of the wire and attach those ends
on either side of the tweezers with the bolt and nut and washers if
necessary.
> > You might want to mount it on a small board for portability and ease of
storage.

> > Plug it in and lightly touch the ends to one another if you see a spark
you have succeeded, if not check your connections. Remember it is important
that the two "sides" of the "circuit" or tweezers are insulated from one
another until they contact the center pin

> > When using this device do not hold it on the pin ends longer than a few
seconds, they heat up VERY quickly!

> > Don't ask me how I know!
> > (grin)
> > Mike
> >
> > I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
> > Steven Wright
> >

> > Michael Magness
> > Magness Piano Service
> > 608-786-4404