[pianotech] Ethics and efficacy of part-time tuning

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 30 17:51:55 PDT 2009

I don't really think there should be a question of ethics here.  Efficacy is
another matter.  It is true that most all of us start as part-time tuners,
but there is something to think about and discuss here.  Some of you have
read the book "This is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel Levitan.  It is a good
book, if a poor title.  The book is mainly about how listening and playing
music affects the brain.  One part of this book looks at the "10,000 Hour
Rule."  Simply put, a person achieves the master level of a skill after
10,000 hours of practice.  If you Google 10,000 hour rule you will find
numerous citings by scientists and authors.  Mozart put in enough hours as a
kid to become an expert keyboard performer, and later a composer.  20 hours
a week for 10 years will do it.  How many part-timers will achieve this
level and how soon?  Part-time for some may be 20 or more hours each week,
for others it may be 4 hours per week.  All of us have corrected problems we
caused, repaired improperly, or just misdiagnosed when we were beginners at
piano service.  If we don't put in the time, will we achieve a level of
expertise soon enough to keep a piano in proper shape?

At a meeting of the International Association of Piano Builders and
Technicians almost twenty years ago, there was a question asked by the
Americans of the Korean technicians.  The translator had to repeat or
rephrase the question several times because it did not make sense to the
Koreans.  The question put to them was, "How many part-time piano tuners are
there in Korea?"  Their eventual response was, "None.  Using a part-time
piano technician makes no more sense than using a part time brain surgeon."

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter