[pianotech] Sound from strings

Stéphane Collin collin.s at mobistar.be
Tue Mar 31 09:57:31 PDT 2009

Hello Renee.

If I understand you well, the issue is the sound produced by the lifting of
the right pedal on the piano, which in a studio is emphasized by the usual
place where the sound technicians put their microphones.
My understanding is that this sound comes mainly from the W shaped damper
felts who rub against the strings when they are lifted.  This is why older
pianos don't have this problem, as they have smaller dampers and some have
flat damper felts, who don't cause the objectionable sound, even on the bass
strings.
One way to cure the issue is to show the pianist that there is no need to
push hard and fast on the right pedal to make it function properly.  Of
course, the harder, quicker the foot movement, the more loud the annoying
sound.  In this regard, I like to regulate the right pedal stop so it does
just what is wanted from it (release the strings) but no more, so the
pianist gets another sense of precision when depressing the pedal, and
avoids intuitively the too enthusiastic movements of his foot.
The other way is to "voice" the W dampers felt so the rubbing of those
against the strings is less audible.
You'll notice the annoyance is higher with longer pianos, and with more
compressed W felts who burry farther into the trichords.
Of course, there is a third way to cure more drastically : replace the W
shaped felts by flat ones.  The drawback is that they damp less well.  Or
should I only say less ?  Because I myself like to play with the after ring
of a piano, which in some cases can be of real (I mean real) aesthetical
value.

Best regards.

Stephane Collin.