[pianotech] Ethics and efficacy of part-time tuning

Geno MacConaghy pianotuner.gene at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 11:09:55 PDT 2009

I grew up in the piano business in San Diego, California.  My Father was an
instructor often at the PTG conventions, and often worked with local PTG
members.  As an adult, I worked full time as an RPT, tuning and rebuilding
pianos for 8 years.  I made the decision to get a business degree, and I
went to work as an employee full time, and continued to work on pianos part
time.  I have dropped my membership with the PTG, only because I was working
on pianos part time and did not feel my "piano tuning money" was best spent
paying for PTG membership (I was young, building a family and such).  I have
spent my part time career being ethical and being as professional as I can.
I do the best job I can, trying to make every tuning better than the last
one.  I do not rebuild pianos any more, but would do the same if I did.

Having the benefit of being around my Dad with his work ethic and knowledge,
I learned the right way, and I experienced some of the full time piano
people, including some RPT, that were less ethical, professional and
provided less value to their customers then I do now as a part time tuner.

If I could have rejoined the PTG years later without all the testing and
such, I would have, even being only part time for some of the reasons listed
here, but it does not make me any less of a tuner.  What I learned from my
Dad, and others in the business I took with me into other careers.  I am
sure that the part time tuners are bringing their own ethics, values and
work ethics to their current part time piano tuning career, and that can be
good or bad.  It is not the part time status of piano tuning, it is the
tuner.

Gene