[pianotech] Sound from strings

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 16:09:11 PDT 2009

I didn't see what make of piano we are talking about (re: sound from
strings), but in most late-model Steinway grands up to about year before last,  in
addition to the dampers brushing the strings, and the rods rubbing in the
guides, the damper wires also make a lot of noise in the damper guides. The  wires
are too rough, and there is something odd about the felt. The only way  we've
found to quiet it somewhat is to rebush the guide rail, polish the wires
while they're out, and reduce the often excessive side pressure on the wires  once
they're back in. Sorry, I don't know what year this problem started.

The way to determine if it's the wires/guides and not the damper felt, is  to
press the pedal carefully until the wedge dampers clear the strings, then
operate the dampers above the strings, listening as the dampers move up and
down. You can also remove the action and operate the tray by hand. You  can even
hear it on individual wires, by lifting the underlevers.

Bob Davis